Help! I Can’t Get My Teen to Do Homework!
Are you exasperated from the daily battle of trying to get your teen to do homework? Do you wonder why they tell you night after night that they don’t have any homework? Do you feel left in the dark? If so, here are some things to try:
- Phone or email all of your child’s teachers to get the full story. Ask if your child is behind in class, if they are completing their homework, and if they are paying attention in class.
- Make sure there is an adult at home when your child gets home from school. The adult should encourage him to have a snack and start homework as soon as he walks in the door. If the teen claims to have no homework, the adult will have the relevant information from the teachers so will know what the teen should be working on. The teen should sit at the kitchen or dining-room table so the adult can casually monitor the process.
- Remind the teen that once this homework time is finished, he is free for the rest of the evening. This will help him stay motivated.
- Hire a tutor if necessary. It is incredibly frustrating for a teenager to do homework when she doesn’t understand it.
- Make sure your teen knows how to study for tests, and include test preparation in most homework sessions.